You can't message to your clientss unless you know who they are...
I've been working with lit-up and brilliant Willdflowers across the land who are creating and launching their side-hustle businesses and there is one thing I know for sure...
WILDFLOWERS HAVE RIDICULOUSLY AMAZING IDEAS
Completely, ridiculously AHH-mazing. And I've also learned that Wildflowers are unstoppable forces of nature when they put their minds to it.
But I know this to be true, too...life marches on and those ridiculously amazing ideas can get shelved. Then puppies die. (Just kidding.) But letting dreams die is not only awful but completely avoidable, and simply NOT OK.
WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET YOUR LEGACY BUSINESS GOING? [HINT: THE TIME IS NOW]
Right. The. Heck. Now.
I know this struggle, because I lived it for (ugh) - YEARS. I had two ideas and I knew they were going to be fantastic. But days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months...you know the deal. Before I knew it, I had let the ideas languish for way, way too long. But they never left me and were returning to my consciousness with more and more frequency. It felt kind of isolating, and I knew that I needed to bring those ideas into the light or I would have wasted all of my potential doing things that were falling short on my best life.
So, one day, I finally stopped making excuses and got busy rocking my side-hustle. I found my coaches and teachers and mastermind partners and combined what I learned from them with my 20+ years experience in business (and a law degree, and a Columbia University Executive MBA...) and kicked into action to get my side-hustle businesses finally launched.
I want my legacy to be helping my sweet Wildflowers create their side-hustle businesses – that’s why I launched The Wildflower Uprising. I want to bring together this absolutely ass-kicking community that has gathered here. Together, we can make this happen for you.
Bottom line? You don't need to feel alone or regretful. If you have a business idea (or many) and it's gnawing at you, returning again and again to your conscious thought, then you probably want to get rolling on it. If you're like me, you will regret it if you don't. And, not to worry, because you have me and the rest of the Wildflowers in the Uprising right beside you!
What's next? Sign up for the email newsletters, join us on Facebook, and let's get your idea into the light!
Do you get paralyzed every time you decide to move forward with your side-hustle, because you know other people are doing something similar?
OK, it's time to knock that crap off, momma.
I realized recently that I am having a hard time getting this concept through to some Wildflowers, so I'm just going to say it again.
Even if someone else is doing exactly the same thing, no one will do it exactly like you.
They have their jam, you have yours. Some clients will like your jam, some will like theirs. Your job is to launch your side-hustle and promote it, so that your weirdos can find you. Because there are no better weirdos than your weirdos. Wildflowers are in the business of building dreams, and nothing is sadder than waking up some day and realizing you have let your dreams atrophy.
A year from now, you will wish you had started today.
I'm issuing a challenge, dear Wildflowers: Think about what you can do in a year. Side-hustles are unique beings because of that whole on the side part. But think about what you can do if you get up an hour early, or forego an hour of TV every day for a year, and in that one hour knock off the list of priorities? (Think if you do both of those things!) Well, within that year you will have your hustle hustling, and there's even time in there for refinements.
So, get ready, set your goals (side hustle business up and running and bringing in $), and declare your intentions to the world. Because what's on the other side of this year is big, and you will SO wish you had done it if you don't.
Examples of what I mean by declared intentions:
- I have 12 months to get my side-hustle launched with 3 paid courses online
- I have a year to get 1000 people on my mailing list
- My first book will be ready for purchase in 365 days
Start here, Wildflower
1. Turn on music that really gets you rolling. Something upbeat and fun. Now, DANCE. Dance around the room like a crazy person. My go to songs are:
- Anything from Mumford & Sons
- Any hair band music. Yep, I own it.
- Katy Perry - Roar [don't judge, it's amazing]
- Fight Song - Rachel Patton
- Imagine Dragons - On Top of the World
2. Now, turn on some slower, worky-type music. . Here are a few Pandora stations I love to work to:
- Avett Brothers
- Michael Franti & Spearhead
- Jesse Cook (this one doubles for a sexy night in, too!)
3. Now. Sit down (or stand at your stand up desk) and get to work:
- Set up your blog if it's not already rolling.
- If your blog is already up and running, write the next month's worth of blog posts.
- Set up your marketing automation. Like Mailchimp.
- If you have 4 weeks of blog content ready, how does your About page look? The About page is the second most viewed page on most sites, so you want to make it really speak to your ideal customer. (Hint from me to you: Write for the ideal customer and you'll attract the right people.)
Do you have a personal brand identity? That was a trick question. You do. Everyone does. Even if you don’t realize it or think it’s important, you’ve got one. So just in case you maybe want to put some thought into it, here’s a little primer. When I think about personal brand, I can’t help but think about my partner, Isaac. I can guarantee as I write this that he has never, ever had an active thought about his personal brand. But he has one, and a strong one at that.